Poached Eggs & Guacamole Spread
The chicken or the egg causality dilemma is commonly stated as “which came first, the chicken or the egg?” My theory is that the chicken came first… Eggs taste so damn good, the eggs would have been eaten before the chicks hatched and therefore neither chicken nor eggs would have existed! 😉
It is probably the Asian in me, but I loveee eggs, especially poached eggs. Those tender whites around a warm liquid yolk that oozes out like liquid gold when you cut into it.. Served with chunky guacamole spread on gluten-free bread is an impeccable combo. This omega-3s and protein packed breakfast is one of my favorites. You’ll have an eeeeggsplosion!
• 1 egg
• 2 tsp white vinegar
• ring from mason jar
• toasted bread (I used Fran’z 7-grain gluten-free bread sold at Safeway)
• 1 avocado, very ripped
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/4 tsp chili powder
• lime wedge, juiced
• 1/2 tsp no-salt seasoning (I used Kirkland brand)
1. Dislodge the pits, then scoop out the avocado fruit into a mixing bowl.
2. Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado. (Don’t overdo it! The guacamole should be a little chunky.)
3. Add the salt, pepper, the seasonings listed, and lime juice. The acid in the lemon juice will help delay the avocados from turning brown.
4. Taste and add more salt or seasonings to your liking.
1. Bring water to an ALMOST boiling point in a shallow pan, add white vinegar (it helps the egg whites to congeal).
2. Crack the egg in a small cup
3. Place the lid to a mason jar in the water. Slowly slip the egg into the ring and let it settle.
4. Turn off the heat, cover for 3-4 minutes.
5. While the egg is poaching, toast your bread and spread with guacomole as desired.
6. Use a slotted spoon to gently remove the egg from water onto a paper towel lined plate. Blot gently to dry.
7. Gently place the egg atop the guacomole toast. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nom Nom Nom! #eggporn